Owning a Bookstore: The Workshop Retreat
Join us for what prior trainees have lovingly nick-named “Bookstore Boot Camp” … three and a half busy days packed with opportunities to learn, network, and gain confidence as a new owner of a retail bookstore business.
The American Booksellers Association, previously known for its booksellers’ school, now looks to The Bookstore Training Group of Paz & Associates to provide training and education for people who want to learn the business of bookselling. Planning to open a bookstore? Purchase an existing store? You need to begin with a strong business foundation.
Whether you’re interested in a children’s bookstore, small bookstore, bookstore cafe, new and used bookstore, or any kind of specialty store that includes selling books, all of the retail strategies will apply.
What retail skills you’ll gain:
- Tangible competitive advantages indie booksellers are using now
- Design strategies that will make your store memorable
- How (and where) to buy books and shape your inventory selection
- How to create and use a planogram
- How to merchandise books, cards, toys and a variety of items you’ll want to carry
- What bookstore computer systems should do for you, what the screens look like, and how to use them to help run and manage your new retail business
- Buying and inventory management strategies to help you create a fabulous inventory and generate profits
- Ways to drive traffic to your store
- Strategies to develop customer loyalty
- Ways to use technology to organize operations and create efficiencies … and more
With all new businesses, there are pitfalls and hazards that result from simply assuming that you can learn as you go. When you’re launching a retail business, you need to be prepared with retail management skills and if this isn’t part of your background, come join us so you can avoid the bumps in the road to ramp up and create a sustainable business.
March 2018 on Amelia Island, FL
Stay tuned for details.
Tuition: $1,395 USD per person and includes one copy of Owning a Bookstore: The Essential Planning Guide and Owning a Bookstore, Part 1: Online Training. Call us to register colleagues from the same store at the reduced rate of $995. If you have made a prior purchase of any of our training resources, you will receive credit.
50% deposit ($697.50 USD), due when you register, will hold your space.
ABA members receive a $200 discount (please call us to register with the ABA discount).