Make your bookstore a beloved community gathering place.
As an independent bookstore owner, you want a space that reflects your unique character and feels special to your community. Combining creative flair with technical expertise, our bookstore architect and retail lighting specialist Liz Dion is ready to tackle every design from a “vanilla box” new space to historic buildings with special requirements to reworking an existing space.
When you work with Liz and Donna, you’ll have two people who adore indie bookstores and work to create a unique sense of space for each bookstore they design. With their combined skills in bookstore architecture, retail lighting, merchandising and customer service, you can count on a bookstore design with all of these elements carefully considered:
- Your merchandise selection, including all of your non-book items
- Interior walls and configuration for office and receiving areas
- Layout of fixtures and furniture items on the sales floor
- Specifications for manufactured and custom fixtures
- Traffic flow and focal areas
- Cash wrap configuration, technology needs
- Children’s area with its own unique personality
- Special fixtures for merchandise displays
- Event staging and seating areas
- Food and beverage area
- Lighting design with suggested fixtures
- Paint colors, flooring specifications, finishes for counters and casework
Donna and Liz work together with these goals: maximize the most prime selling areas in your space, configure counters that will help you spotlight customer service, and offer the kind of bookstore experience that inspires discovery and wonder … the reasons people will shop in your bookstore.
We’re ready to help with any kind of bookstore design project …
- Re-imagine existing bookstore space
- Expand into additional space
- Move to a new space
- Create a new bookstore in an historic property
- Transform a plain ‘vanilla box’ into a bookstore with character
- Update lighting for improved ambiance and energy efficiency
- Review photos and layout to provide fresh ideas
…and anything else that helps establish, update and improve an independent bookstore!
Our affordable bookstore design fees begin as low as $3.50/sq. ft. for all of our design services and are based on the condition of your space and the scope of work. Smaller projects with existing spaces can be based on an hourly fee and we’re happy to work within your budget. We’d be thrilled to learn about your project and prepare a written proposal with fixed fee.
Bookstore Design Gallery
Left Bank Books, Before and After